Wooden Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Tone it down

I recently received an approval for my disability medical coverage from my insurance provider. I was injured during the Christmas holidays due to an accident and have been unable to return to my job. The tone is very concise and to the point and does little to invoke much of an emotional response. It uses mainly logos, stating first that my benefits have been approved from the time of the accident until the 20th of next month. Then it goes on to list the contingencies of this coverage listing: updated clinical data from future appointments, visitations to new clinical facilities, office notes, progress notes, range of motion deficits, and any other documentations pertinent to my claim.

It then goes onto listing the consequences of being "non-compliant" with these requests. It uses "you language" in doing so which goes against the logic of our textbook. It does this throughout the letter, however, so it is unlikely to be deliberately provoking. The one thing that stood out was when they said, "Please be advised that we will continue to monitor your recovery and request updated clinical data...". This sounds like a veiled warning made in a cautionary tone meant for those who might be taking advantage of disability coverage/pay. I have known people in my workplace who have been accused to doing this and subsequently fired for it. Other then that, the rest of the letter reads rather plainly and is direct in conveying simple message that any and all medical visits must be directly communicated to them in a timely manner.

The last paragraph ends stating that should the doctor feel that I'm ready for work before the coverage deadline to notify them immediately. This tone of urgency is probably to emphasize that they won't pay a penny more disability coverage then what's absolutely necessary. This makes business sense as they are a huge provider servicing millions of people and a mere day or week of unnecessary coverage results in millions of dollars in losses.

Analyzing this letter has been illuminating and thought provoking. I might compare this thrilling literature to a terms and services notifications posted on various websites or computer programs. The long drawn out legalese of such documents really invigorates the mind and energizes the spirit. I recommend such reading be done in the event of a rainy day in a mental institute when the option of banging your head against the wall has become woefully unattainable due to physical restraint.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I think I'm sensing a sarcastic tone in that last paragraph! I agree, most legal documents are as exciting to read as watching paint dry.

January 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home